Thursday, July 14, 2011

hobby-horse-a-palooza

Since I do not know how to sew, and have been looking for ideas for E's upcoming birthday party that will be knights of the round-table themed, I came across this no sew hobby horse from Family Fun. It was way easier then I expected and the initial prototypes came out quite nice if I do say so myself. I plan to modify the harness apparatus with felt and make it look a bit more medieval but I think they will be a big hit. The kids had fun playing with them. More pics to follow in the coming weeks...pray for me; I have 20 more to make.
I used old work pants that I can no longer squeeze into (because dress slacks are simply not practical these days) and then I made a mini-sized version for babyJ out of some of E's old jeans.
Estimated cost=$2 per horse based on using used pants and stick handles found at home (although I do plan on getting sticks from home depot and covering them to add a more festive flare but that shouldn't break the bank at all), but theoretically depending on the supplies you have on-hand it could be free! You could even tear up a t-shirt (into strands) to make the horse mane if you don't have yarn. You could also substitute buttons for the eyes or use beads or anything else that you have on hand. I give it an A+; it was a super fun, easy and was a big hit.


No comments:

Post a Comment